Have you ever wondered about joining a peer support network when life throws you down?! Seeking out a group of understanding strangers, who might be able to relate to your personal ordeals, can sound both promising and intimidating, but where do you begin? Well, let’s take a look at what we’re dealing with here.
Why Join A Peer Support Network
According to Mental Health America, traditional support groups are “offered as a space where individuals can come together to share their stories, experiences, and lives in a way that helps reduce isolation and loneliness.” Groups usually focus on specific topics and have a designated moderator, who makes sure the group is always a safe space for people to talk about their problems. The network just means that Supportiv finds the right people for your group for you. Zero effort! Here are some other benefits you can expect:
- Perspective, advice and inspiration. Support groups usually focus on a particular topic, which means members can relate to one another. Hearing others talk about the ways in which they’re dealing with their challenges can help put things in perspective and even inspire you to try new approaches to your situation.
- Validation. It can be comforting to know that you’re not alone, that you are not crazy for feeling the way you do, and that it’s not abnormal to experience the events in your life the way you do.
- Emotional support. A good support group will show you that there are people who care about your experience and can empathize with your heartaches. Sometimes all we need is for someone to tell us, “hey, I get you, and I’m really sorry this is happening.”
Why You Haven’t Done It
So, you’ve given support groups some thought, but are still keeping this idea on the backburner for now. Let’s call out some of the reasons you might be stalling:
- Where do I start? With so many challenges in your life, how do you even choose a group? One minute you’re dealing with relationship problems, the next you’re coping with the illness of a relative, and on top of it, you’re dealing with work stress. With so many pressing issues and the variety of groups available, you don’t know which one to choose, so you choose none.
- Do I have time? We live busy lives, which make it difficult to find a regular time slot for support group meetings. In a sea of responsibilities, this is one more commitment and another draining commute.
- Is it safe to open up? Opening up in front of complete strangers can be scary. Knowing it can be good for you is one thing, but bringing yourself to do it is another.
An Easy Alternative
If a traditional support group is too much of a commitment for you at the moment, consider an alternative. Supportiv is a mental wellness app with a support network that offers a new way for people to help one another. It lets you access a peer group in seconds straight from your phone. You don’t need to provide personal information, and unlike traditional in-person support groups that focus on specific topics, you don’t need to wonder which group you should join. Just open the app, type what’s on your mind, and you’ll be connected to other people like you using the app at that moment. If you happen to sign on when your struggle is unique, you’ll be able to talk to one of Supportiv’s trained moderators, who participate in all chats to maintain a safe and positive environment. You’ll never have to worry about dealing with personal attacks, which are so common online these days. Supportiv keeps the groups small – no more than 10 people per virtual room, so everyone gets a chance to speak. Best of all, you stay anonymous throughout the whole experience, so go ahead and open up! Just be real, talk about what’s really bothering you. You’ll never see these people again!